How Can I Become More Culturally Responsive In My Literacy Instructional Practices
Culturally Relevant Pedagogy View the videos listed below. Gloria Ladson-Billings says that Culturally Relevant Pedagogy rests on 3 propositions. Think about the pedagogy that is being explained. Think about ways you can incorporate culturally relevant pedagogy explicitly in your teaching.Reflect about Culturally Relevant Pedagogy and how it may intersect with your instructional decisions. Think about your future classroom. Design a plan of action that incorporates these practices into your current classroom setting and teaching practices. You must explicitly tie your answers to the information from the three videos. Reflection Prompt:
- Identify and briefly describe the 3 propositions by Gloria Ladson-Billings
- What does it mean to practice culturally relevant pedagogy?
- What challenges do you think you might face in school that may prevent you from incorporating these practices?
- Provide specific at least one specific way you can incorporate culturally relevant pedagogy in your classroom setting?
- align at least one plan of action directly with each of the propositions
- tell how each plan incorporates culturally relevant pedagogy with literacy instruction
- tell how this will help students improve their reading and literacy learning
- Cultural Competence (Links to an external site.)
- Gloria Ladson-Billings discusses Culturally Relevant Pedagogy at Teach Award Lecture (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
- Jeffery Dessources speaks about importance of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy
Submit a 1 to 2 page, single-spaced document that thoroughly explains your response to the reflection prompt above.